For those who follow me on instagram know just how much I love to lift weights. I train with weights 6 days per week and absolutely love the benefits of strength training. It’s time for us girls to put aside the stereotypes of weight lifting = masculinity and pick up some dumbbells! The treadmill and yoga do have a place in our lives however resistance training will enable you to achieve a strong, toned and shapely body faster than ever before.
Girls seem to be quite hesitant when it comes down to weight training and I can put this down to a couple of reasons:
- Being unsure of proper techniques or what to do with weights so would just prefer to run on the treadmill or do some body weight exercises
- Feeling intimated in the weights room given it’s mostly filled with egotistical males
- Fear of becoming bulky, manly or less feminine
I can assure you I once that felt the exact same way. I used to spend A LOT of time doing cardio and also in group fitness aerobic classes. I did really enjoy the classes and cardio however I wasn’t seeing any progress with my physique given the amount of hours a week I was in the gym. I wanted to take my training to the next level so I started a structured weights program.
Here are some reasons why ladies should lift:
- FAT LOSS: Weight sessions burn calories both during and after exercise.
- MORE LEAN MUSCLE = BURN MORE CALORIES: As your lean muscle mass increases your body burns more calories even when you aren’t exercising.
- CREATE SHAPE: Bodies are built in the gym.
- EMPOWER YOU: I find having strength goals incredibly motivating and there is no better feeling than hitting your personal bests! It makes me feel confident and strong!
- HEALTH BENEFITS: For bone strength, weight training is a great for helping to fight osteoporosis and ease joint pain.
Weight training can lead to better metabolism, body image and self-esteem. So if you want a better body stop fearing the weights room…embrace it!